There is an byelaw first introduced in 1800 which bans women from wearing trousers in Paris, according to today’s Telegraph.
This made me chuckle. Itmeans that A & S are both criminals. But considering this also makes criminals out of Coco Chanel and Rebecca, Eurostar competition winner, I feel we’re in good company.
Although the lawyers amongst us don’t want to admit it, there are any number of stupid laws about. These are laws that no-one actually takes any notice of but no-one can be bothered to get rid of. Here are a few of my favourites from the UK:
- Eating mince pies on Christmas Day is banned
- It is illegal to hang washing in the street
- It is illegal to die in the Houses of Parliament
- It could be regarded an act of treason to place a postage stamp bearing the British king or queen’s image upside-down
- It is illegal to bet or gamble in the library reading room
- It is illegal for a woman to be topless in Liverpool except as a clerk in a tropical fish store
Now that my silliness quota for the day is full, I’m off.